31 Places to Visit at ICI Campuses
June 29, 2016
1. Ancilla College – The Ancilla Beef and Grain Farm
Ancilla College’s campus sits on 1,200 acres of rolling farm-type land, which makes it the perfect place for the school’s beef and grain farm. They grow hay, corn and soybeans to feed the cattle, which they raise to be all natural. This year they expect more than 100 calves to be born.
2. Anderson University – Helios
This elegant statue symbolizes the logo of Anderson University, an eternal flame. Professor Emeritus Arlon Bayliss created it in 1992 for the 75th anniversary of the school. Helios stands outside the academic building Hartung Hall.
3. Bethel College – The Helm
This statue of a ship’s wheel is located in the middle of a roundabout in the main entrance of campus. The centerpiece embodies Bethel’s motto: With Christ at the Helm. The graduating class of 1947 donated it to represent both the foundation and the future of the college.
4. Butler University – Hinkle Fieldhouse
Originally opened in 1928, Hinkle Fieldhouse recently received a $36 million renovation. Named after legendary Butler coach Tony Hinkle, the fieldhouse has seen more than just Bulldog basketball. It hosted six presidents, was a barracks for the military in WWII and was the setting of the popular movie “Hoosiers.”
5. Calumet College of St. Joseph – Rainforest Mural
Media and art students took the reins in creating this masterpiece outside the Media & Fine Arts room. Peek inside to see some students working in several different mediums. A mural of Lake Michigan can also be found in the library right nearby.
6. DePauw University – The Green Center for the Performing Arts
The Green Center for the Performing Arts is home to DePauw's School of Music and our Communication and Theatre department. This venue plays host to more than 150 performances a year, including a Guest Artist series and the Ubben Lecture Series. Past headliners include Yo-Yo Ma and Margaret Thatcher.
7. Earlham College – James Moore Museum
Earlham College is home to Eastern Indiana’s natural history and science museum, the James Moore Museum. Established in 1847, it was originally a teaching collection. Almost completely staffed by students, the free museum houses a mastodon skeleton, an Egyptian mummy and a live snake collection.
8. Franklin College – The Ben Bust of Good Luck in Old Main
Opened in 1889, Old Main is the iconic bell tower at Franklin. It almost burned down in 1985, but now the building houses classes and offices. On the staircase inside, you will find a bust of Benjamin Franklin with an odd colored nose because so many students have rubbed him for good luck on their way to a test.
9. Goshen College – Vista from 8th Street
The view of campus has remained largely unchanged in Goshen’s 100-year history. From here, one can see the Aurora Arch and the Adelphian Fountain, which were added in the early 1900s. Walk through the main gate to reach the Administration Building to visit more of the campus.
10. Grace College – The Village at Winona
Just steps away from Grace’s campus sits the Village at Winona, a collection of places to shop and eat that the community and students can enjoy. The Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and many cultural festivals, concerts and other entertainment events are hosted there.
11. Hanover College – Hendricks Hall
Built in 1903, Hendricks Hall was constructed in the Beaux-Arts classic style with a dash of Georgian revival. Located at the top of a bluff overlooking the Ohio River, the hall is named for a Hanover alumnus Thomas Hendricks who served as a Hoosier governor and as vice president under Grover Cleveland.
12. Holy Cross College – Millennium Gateway Arch
The Millennium Gateway Arch was constructed in 2000 to represent Holy Cross’ transition into the new millennium and a new beginning as a four-year liberal arts college. This beautiful piece stands toward the front of campus near Vincent Hall.
13. Huntington University – Becker Hall
Built in 1896, Becker Hall was the original building on campus with classrooms, labs, the library and a 600-seat auditorium. During the past 118 years, Becker had multiple renovations and currently houses Huntington University’s administration offices and its award-winning film and animation programs.
14. Indiana Tech – Andorfer Commons
Andorfer Commons is centrally located on campus, and its rounded odd shape makes it an architectural highlight. Inside, the building is home to the dining hall, spirit shop and even a six-lane bowling alley. The Magee-O’Connor Theater always has entertainment from a First Friday Film to a visiting speaker.
15. Indiana Wesleyan University – The Fountain
The Class of 2015 took to social media with #savethefountain when the university announced the fountain would be removed. The students raised money for a more permanent replacement for the campus landmark, located just outside the Jackson Library in Eastburn Plaza.
16. Manchester University – Gladys Muir Peace Garden
The Gladys Muir Peace Garden and Meeting House was named for the founder of Manchester’s Peace Studies institute, the first of its kind in the world. Originally constructed in 1929, it stands as a reminder to a tradition of peace and justice education at the college.
17. Marian University – Allison Mansion
Allison Mansion was built in 1911 and cost $2 million. Nicknamed the “House of Wonders,” it had an elevator, indoor swimming pool and an intercom system. Named for James Allison, one of the founders of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it was the first university building with 16 staffers and 24 students.
18. Martin University – Founders' Room
Martin is the only predominantly black institution of higher education in Indiana. Opening its doors in the 1970s, Martin is named for two Martins: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the civil rights leader and Saint martin de Porres, the first biracial Catholic saint. You can learn more about them in the Founders' Room.
19. Oakland City University – Cockrum Hall
Named after its original tenant Col. William Cockrum, the hall was built in 1876 in the fashion of an Italian villa. The bricks were brought one wagonload at a time from nearby Princeton, Indiana. The building is now owned by Oakland City University and used for the offices of development and alumni.
20. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology – Cherry Grove at White Chapel
Opened in 2001, the White Chapel is named after donor and alumnus John White. The chapel sits on Speed Lake, where many students go to relax. The 40 trees in the Cherry Grove were planted in honor of the school’s partnership with the Kanazawa Institute of Technology in Japan.
21. Saint Joseph’s College – Saint Joseph’s College Chapel
The Saint Joseph’s College Chapel, built in 1909 in the Romanesque Revival style, is beautifully mirrored in the Reflecting Pond. The chapel is also one of the few buildings listed in the "outstanding" category by the Jasper County Historical Society Interim Report.
22. Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College – Le Fer Hall
Le Fer Hall, the heart of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, was built in 1923 in the French Renaissance style. It combines old-world charm with modern amenities including suite-style rooms, classrooms and dining options– all things students want in a living and learning environment.
23. Saint Mary’s College – Walk the Avenue to Holy Cross Hall
The Avenue at Saint Mary’s is the main road to get to the heart of campus, Holy Cross Hall. Beautiful trees line the road, which looks exceptionally wonderful in autumn. Holy Cross Hall was built in 1903, and although it originally served as an academic building, it is now home to 300 women.
24. Taylor University – Zondervan Library and Rice Bell Tower
Named after the publishing firm, the Zondervan Library was built in 1896 and houses the significant collection of author C.S. Lewis, best known for the Chronicles of Narnia collection. The Rice Bell Tower stands outside with two spires, representing academic excellence and spiritual integrity.
25. Trine University – T. Furth Center for the Performing Arts
Opened in 2014, the performing arts center is named for Dr. Thomas Furth, an alumnus and trustee. The center cost $8.3 million. It houses the Ryan Concert Hall, which is designed to be reminiscent of the Wiener Musikverein concert hall in Vienna.
26. University of Evansville – Olmsted Administration Hall
Built in 1922 for $315,000, Olmsted Administration Hall was the only building at the new campus of the University of Evansville for 25 years. It is located on the Circle, which is the central landscape of the institution. The hall still serves as the main hub for administrators.
27. University of Indianapolis – Krannert Memorial Library
Originally built 1977, the Krannert Memorial Library received a $5.5 million renovation in 2015 to enhance digital connectivity and accommodate collaboration and a range of learning styles. New features include a cafe, a 24-hour study lab and a three-story glass wall that provides natural light and dramatic views across Smith Mall.
28. University of Notre Dame – “Touchdown Jesus”
A large mural The Word of Life by Millard Sheets depicts resurrected Jesus, which many Notre Dame football fans have nicknamed Touchdown Jesus. The mural was installed on the Hesburgh Library in 1964, and it can be seen from inside the football stadium.
29. University of Saint Francis – Mirror Lake and Brookside Mansion
Created in 1892, Mirror Lake is the center of the campus’ 22 buildings. Overlooking the lake is Brookside Mansion, which was awarded the Cook Cup for Outstanding Restoration by Indiana Landmarks in recognition of work done to restore the building to its original splendor when it was built in 1902.
30. Valparaiso University – Chapel of the Resurrection
The Chapel measures 340 feet, which is longer than a football field. Built in 1956, it was designed to reflect the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. The chairs are larger replicas of those in the Coventry Cathedral of England, and the three stained-glass windows were crafted in Cologne, Germany.
31. Wabash College – Pioneer Chapel
Wabash’s academic buildings form the Mall, an oval in the center of campus. At the south end is the Pioneer Chapel, dedicated in 1929 to the memory of Indiana pioneers. On Freshman Saturday and Commencement, the president rings the bell Caleb Mills, our first professor, used to ring in the first 12 students in 1833.
Follow us on social media for more college information.